Thursday, May 31, 2007

1920's Exhibit at The Harry Ransom Center

If you are looking for something fun to do, last Friday I visited the latest exhibit at the Harry Ransom Center here in Austin. The current exhibit is all about the 1920's - one of my most favorite decades. It was great, highlighting all the amazing art, literature and societal changes that happened during that decade. There was a letter from Ernest Hemingway's mother, to him, chastising his behavior. There were tons of great photographs and original manuscripts with the writer's notes in the margins. One super neat picture featured of all these ladies in their fancy full coverage bathing suit ensembles. Why can't we still have bathing suits like that? I came away with a long list of books I need to read including Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis. I really enjoyed all of the first edition books they had on display. The cover art was beautiful and inspiring. Then, at some point in the exhibit I was reminded of prohibition - it's amazing what you can accomplish without alcohol in your life! Just kidding, I know they were all drinking bathtub gin at the speakeasy.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I can't believe I've just now found this site, as big of a fan as I am of Naughty Secretary, Stylelicious, Austin Craft Mafia and Knitty Gritty. This exhibit totally got by me, and I'm a huge fan of that era. Hope you keep this blog up. It's great!!!